Terms and Conditions
Terms and Conditions // Reglement
1.1 By entering the competition you hereby accept these terms and conditions.
1.2 The competition is free to enter.
1.3 The competition is open to everyone.
1.4 The deadline for submissions was the 24th of June 2016.
1.5 By entering the competition be a better being, you agree and acknowledge that the organizers are permitted to receive your registration data. All participants are required to provide their name, email address, telephone number, and − if applicable − institutional affiliation upon submitting their contribution. Your address and telephone number will not be disclosed or shared without your explicit permission.
2.1 To enter, you must submit your contribution via the entry form on the website http://betterbeing.info, following the instructions carefully.
2.2 Entries may include films that are new, pre-existing, or have been specially produced for the competition, provided that they relate to the topic of be a better being (refer to “Call for Entries” and “About”).
2.2.1 All film formats are permissible as production media. There are no restrictions regarding style or genre.
2.2.2 The duration of the film must not exceed 15 minutes and the film must not be older than three years.
2.2.3 The film has to be made available online (Vimeo / YouTube, either public or password protected) so as to be accessible to the various jury members. Please include the relevant link (and password if applicable) in the application form. Any other way of submitting the film (e.g. DVD) will not be accepted.
2.3 Entries in languages other than English need to be submitted with English subtitles.
2.4 All entries must be submitted along with a title and a synopsis. Incomplete entries will not be considered.
3.1 be a better being awards a screening fee of 300,- EUR to all films selected for screening during the Forum scheduled for November 2016. In addition, an audience prize of 1000,- EUR will be awarded.
3.2 Winners will be notified via email by October 2016. Nominees will receive an invitation to participate in the Forum be a better being, which takes place in Berlin in November 2016. By participating in the Forum, they agree that the organizers are allowed to take pictures or videos during the screening, the talks and the prize ceremony, and to publish these pictures or clips for the purposes of promotion and exhibition.
3.3 The decision of the jury is final and no negotiation will be entered into with respect to any such decision.
3.4 The organizers reserve the right to disqualify and remove any contribution that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry has been submitted or registered via the website. You warrant and represent as follows:
- a) You are the sole owner(s) and author(s) of the contribution submitted.
- b) You have the right to make your entry available to the competition.
- c) You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of your name and submitted contribution for the purposes of advertising, promotion, and publicity without compensation.
- d) Your entry does not contain personally identifiable information about you or any other person(s), unless you have obtained permission from them to submit and publish the material.
- e) Your contribution does not contain any infringing, threatening, abusive, harassing, libellous or defamatory content. It does not contain any material that gives rise to civil liability or otherwise violates any law.
- f) Your contribution does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual and industrial property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person’s rights of privacy or publicity.
- By participating in the competition, you confirm that all visual, sound and informative material used in the film is free from the rights of third parties. Should any other person apart from the entrant have played a role in the conception or making of the film, you guarantee to have obtained all rights required to participate in the competition from the respective parties and to have named these persons on the entry form. The entrant is completely and extensively responsible for any claims of third parties (copyrights and any other claims) including any ensuing legal costs if need be.
- By participating in this competition, you give your consent that your contribution, or parts thereof, may be used by the organisers for promotional purposes in non-commercial contexts. You hereby grant the organizers a non-exclusive, irrevocable licence throughout the world in all media for any use connected to the promotion of the Forum be a better being, including, but not limited to:
- a) judging the competition;
- b) inclusion of parts of the film (e.g. for a project trailer) or film stills within any website, a brochure, magazine or similar;
- c) inclusion of parts of the film (e.g. for a project trailer) or film stills within any materials promoting the competition and / or any exhibition prepared by the organisers;
- The organizers assume no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate, or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the competition, and assume no responsibility for technical, hardware, or software failure of any kind, for lost network connections, garbled computer transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the competition. The organizers assume no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorised access to or alteration of submitted contributions. If for any reason your entry cannot be viewed, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, or technical failures, the organizers assume no responsibility.
- In no event will the organizers be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special, or punitive damages arising out of any user’s access to and use of the website.